Wednesday 1 July 2015

Fog of memory


The old man smiled gently, as if being careful not to damage the paper-fragile skin on his cheeks. ‘Being of great age isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be, right?’
       Despite the painful joints in his knuckles (as well as in his knees, toes, hips and shoulders) he ticked off the list on his fingers, settling himself against the pillows, propped up in his bed.
       ‘For a start, your body begins to let you down as your flesh goes all wrinkly and your eyes and ears fade dramatically. Your hair drops out, except for the hair in your nostrils, ears and eyebrows, where it grows with extraordinary vigour. I don’t feel all that old, but even now I have to walk with a stick, and need help to get out of this bed. It’s hard for me to participate in the activities at the temple, too.’
       ‘It’s a shame,’ said his companion, a woman perhaps forty years his junior, who smiled sympathetically. Behind her eyes she was slightly concerned; she knew this might be the last time she would be privileged to have the old man’s attention, and she wanted to be sure she remembered as much as possible.
       Her goal was to keep a good record so that his experience, wisdom, and character might be preserved for the benefit of future generations.
       ‘But that’s enough moaning for now,’ he continued. ‘I should be happy to have reached this time of life. I can only look back, since I’m not long for this world. And I can reflect on faithful service, honouring God and being at the centre of community life as it revolves around the Temple. As you know my dear – oh, are you comfortable? There’s a cushion if you need it?’
       ‘I’m perfectly fine, thank you, Gramps.’
       ‘Good. Good. Nothing worse than listening to an old man when your buttocks are numb!’ He chuckled at this extreme coarseness of language that he had decided to allow himself in his latter years, now that he would be able to get away with it. But the chuckle quickly gave way to a rasping cough of retribution. Once it had subsided, he gasped for breath, and then continued.  ‘I was born one hundred-and-five years ago next month, and have been a priest here in Jerusalem for the greater part of that lifetime – eighty one years, to be exact.’
       He smiled as he looked into her face. ‘Yes, your calculations are right; I was in my early twenties when I came to the priesthood, having completed my studies and been selected. As you’ll be aware, my dear, one has to be a part of the right family in the first place. Then there are lots of studies that must be completed and other people to satisfy. But I managed all that and at the age of twenty-four I donned the priestly robes. H’mm. I took the name by which everyone knows me – Rabbi Rabinovich. And then I began the long journey… one which isn’t over yet but which is very much nearer its end than its beginning.’
       He paused for a moment, took a sip of wine from a goblet, wiped his lips absent-mindedly on the long sleeve of his tunic, closed his eyes for a moment, and continued. The woman took the goblet from his trembling hand, and put it safely back on the bedside table. She knew most of this background material, and patiently smiled and sat in silence as the old man continued. It was clear he had assumed she was ignorant of her heritage and culture, of his story, and was not entirely confident of her identity, either. But she listened, hoping there might be fresh insights, previously untold anecdotes or new details revealed.
       ‘I used to help the older priests with the ceremonies, observing and learning style and technique, holding the books of the Torah while they read from them, sorting the right robes for each of the gentlemen who took part and selecting the doves and other animals for sacrifice. There were plenty of others who would do some of the duties, but everything needed a priestly approval, and some of the tasks were too menial for the older priests, so it was down to us, the younger priests in the Temple. We were less experienced but were well able to make most of the judgements required. We weren’t yet caught up with the deep theology or with the ceremonial oversight, but we could make the smaller decisions and get on with temple life in the normal way, with the honour and respect due to the priesthood.’
       ‘H’mm, that’s what I’d heard already, Gramps, but we were going to talk about Zechariah being struck dumb – do you remember?’
       ‘Oh, am I rambling a little? So sorry, my dear. Please just tap me on the arm if I go on and make no sense or just repeat myself or start to get dull or, indeed, repeat myself. That’s just another thing about being a tired old man ready for a long lie down in a carefully-prepared sepulchre dedicated to the glory of God. Oh, yes. That will be nice…’ He paused slightly, allowing his imagination to enjoy the scene he was envisaging. ‘Anyway, when I was a young man, just starting my on-the-job training for the priesthood, two extraordinary things happened in my first few weeks at the Temple.
       ‘One of the older Priests, by name Zechariah, a man well struck in years, was selected to go and burn the incense, which he did, but everyone was distracted from their prayers when he took an exceptionally long time at the altar. And when he came out – well, my dear, his life had been changed.
       ‘He explained he’d been spoken to by an angel, who had told him that he and his wife would have a son, despite their great age. Like Abraham. The angel had promised the boy would be great – you know, important spiritually. He would be full of the Holy Spirit, and make ready a people prepared for the Lord. And he told us all of this through the gift of handwriting, since the angel had taken from him the power of speech. This seemed odd, but we sent him home to be with his wife. Well, in the fullness of time nature took its course and she gave birth to a boy, and they brought him to the Temple when he was eight days old, for the usual reason. The priest in charge invited me to observe as part of my training, and when the mother presented the boy, the priest was a bit previous, double-checking the name the boy was to have.
       ‘”There’s no-one else in your family called John,” he said to the mother, quite forcefully, “so why would you want to call him John? I’ll tell you what, I’ll call him Zechariah, after his father,” he told her. But she said “No! Ask his father.”
       ‘So they did ask his father, and the old chap wrote down His name is John. I think it must have been what the angel had told him. Anyway, as soon as the boy was named, the old man’s tongue was loosed, and he began to praise God with a great song, which some called Benedictus, for some reason. I could sing it for you, if you like…?’
     Floccinaucinihilipilification is the father of time-saving, she thought to herself, somewhat grandly. Fortunately, when she spoke, her words were a little more straightforward. ‘Not just now, Gramps. I don’t want to tire you too much.’
       ‘Oh, it’s no trouble. Now, how does it start?’
       ‘Perhaps in the morning…’
         ‘Yes, yes, I shall entertain the whole family with the song in the morning. In the morning.’ He reached for his wine again, but it was beyond his reach. The woman assisted him, and he sipped, slopped, mopped and handed the goblet back to her. ‘A few months after Zechariah’s incident, I was promoted from observing at the ceremonies to participating. I really looked forward to getting stuck in. My first morning as a fully-functional, official, honest-to-goodness Priest was quite memorable too! You see, a young couple came to me with their boy child. I did the business with the knife and gave a blessing to them. I did a reasonably good job of it, if I may say so, considering it was my first time not practicing on a chilli – foolish arrangement, that was: wrong colour, wrong texture, the wrong size and nothing like the real thing at all. No, quite, quite different. I’m not allowed to do it these days, as my hands shake a little.’
       His expression betrayed the regret he felt for the conversation he had with the Priests in Charge when they told him his Eighth-Day Ceremony officiating was to be curtailed, following a most unfortunate incident.
      But then he remembered he was right in the middle of a story. ‘It was my first time, which is why I recall it so clearly, I think. And I had been double booked, so another young couple turned up at the same time with their boy. I had to ask one of my colleagues to serve them. He did so but also sent them to see old Simeon, who was wondering about in the courts. The booking system was a bit of a shambles and I considered later how to improve it to ensure no-one was sent away disappointed.
      ‘Now, let me tell you about Simeon – yes, that’s right, the elderly devout Hebrew famous in the Temple. I count it a privilege that I was introduced to him. He was a strange old coot, between you and me and the Beautiful Gatepost, always muttering to himself about the Messiah, and he cannot have been less than the age I am now when his big moment finally came. I’m glad he had the opportunity because only a few weeks later, his legs packed up and he could no longer get about – actually, my dear, I think I might be right in saying that he passed away a little while after.’
       ‘So,’ interrupted the woman, ‘can you put a date on this?’
      The old man continued as if he hadn’t heard her, since he hadn’t heard her. ‘Apparently, he’d been absent from the Temple for a few months, but had a funny feeling he should be there on that one particular day (or so he told me), and it so happened that this was my first day on circumcision duty.
       ‘But I remember clearly the way the old man’s face lit up! He was presented with the boy child of the couple who were double-booked, and oh, it was a wonder to behold! He took the child in his arms (which was slightly risky, truth be told, but he didn’t drop the baby, thank the Lord) and blessed him and shouted stuff to heaven as if God is deaf. I didn’t catch the first bit, but people have since told me that – ‘ He indicated for the goblet of wine, and the woman helped him. ‘H’mm yes, the temple was a wonderful place to work. Simeon was very old and perhaps a bit crazy, but he knew his Torah and claimed that God had promised him that he would see the coming Messiah, but his eyes were fading fast when I knew him. Like mine now. And my ears.’
       The old man fell silent, as if demonstrating what it was like to lose hearing; or perhaps to re-order his memories. After a moment or two, he began again.
       ‘Oh, yes, I was telling you about the day he held that boy child. Nunc Dimittis they called it. That’s all Greek to me, but I knew he was thrilled to high heaven with this boy, and told the parents… oh, yes, a pretty young girl, she was – just like you used to be – and her husband with his bandaged fingers (don’t know why I remember that detail, ha ha!) – that the boy was a sign and a revelation from God and that he was a light for the Gentiles and glory to Israel. Old Simeon died believing he’d seen something special. And maybe he had, but it was hard to account for it.’
       The woman chose not to take offence at the remark about the toll that passing years had taken upon the way her Grandfather viewed her attractiveness. Perhaps she attributed his comment to his failing eyesight, unable to detect the radiance with which she knew she still illumined the room…
       ‘Oh, you know, my dear, I could tell you so many stories from my life as a Priest in the Temple. You know the boy Zechariah had? Well, he grew up to a bit of a wild child, or so I’ve heard, and ran through the wilderness and lived on locusts and honey and preached about the Messiah and gave various folks a wash from time to time – and publically, too!’ He stopped to try to picture the scene. A frown passed across his delicate forehead as he wondered if he had been telling his story in the right order. Nonetheless, he continued.
       ‘We would do the sacrifices and the blessings and sing and pray and have a life of service and worship and discussion. I used to enjoy the discussions, you know, oh yes. My mind was razor-sharp in those days, my dear. Oh, razor, yes.
       ‘We’d discuss all sorts, some of it a little bit heretical in places, no doubt. There were several groups of us, setting aside one day each week for the cut-and-thrust of informed, educated theological conversation. My group of teachers was fascinating. We sometimes would allow members of the public to listen in, especially around Passover time, when there were people who had made their special journeys to the Temple. Oh, yes, there were some good discussions in those days.
       ‘One year, one of the other consultation groups had a bit of an incident with a twelve-year-old boy who seemed to bamboozle them. He must have asked them something they’d never thought of before or something. They always refused to explain what the issues were. I think they were a little embarrassed about it, as he was just a lad.
       ‘Although, ha ha, I recall they were annoyed about it too, as his mother turned up and gave the boy a wigging for spending time in the Temple with these teachers when he should have been on the road back home. My colleagues implied she was blaming them for engaging the boy in conversation. She admitted that she’d assumed the boy was travelling with them but they hadn’t actually checked, and there was some doubt about who was supposed to give him instructions… But the Priests were teachers of the Law and yet they were clearly being taught by the boy! We did chuckle about it between ourselves. Imagine! A teacher of the Law listening to a boy explaining the meaning of the Law! Oh, the shame they must have felt, ha ha!’ His cough troubled him again.
       At this moment the door to the bedroom flew open and a small girl aged about three ran in, not waiting to be asked to speak, but holding out a rag doll to the woman. ‘Great-Grandmama Persis, goodnight kiss for Lillibet! Please!’
       The woman kissed the doll and gently spoke to the little girl. ‘Nearly time for your bedtime, too, my dear. Why don’t you ask your dad to read you a bedtime story? Run along, now then, won’t you? Please leave me and Gramps – ah, Great Three Gramps Rabinovich – to finish our talk, there’s a good girl? Oh, thank you, sweetheart!’ This last comment was directed at her granddaughter, who had come to fetch the little girl and remove her, which she did, without banging the door. Persis turned back to the old man. ‘She’s such an imaginative one! Please do go on, Gramps.’
       ‘Is she one of yours?’
       ‘No,’ Persis laughed, choosing this time to be flattered by the confusion that he considered her young enough to be the mother of such a small child. ‘That’s my grand-daughter’s girl. There’s quite a lot of us in the…’
       But the old man was more bothered by something he had said a few moments before the interruption.
       ‘Or do I mean inferred? Oh, one of those. But yes, we had a laugh at their expense some days. There were a few wild goings-on in the Temple in my time, too. Oh yes, what about the day the goats escaped from their pen? No-one laughed at the time, as it was a problem. But I had to smile once it was over. And one of the old Priests used to get in such a muddle when we were rehearsing for the special ceremonies, forgetting which was the right knife or book or incense for each part of the procedure and which colour robes to wear and just making a shambles of it all.
       ‘Oh, yes, my dear, and we had a lot of fuss on that day when a lunatic got into the temple courts and started going berserk in the courtyards with a whip and shouting about prayer and thieves and threw the money around and set all the doves free. He was a troublemaker, we decided.
       ‘Later on, of course, there was a rabble-rouser who threatened to destroy the temple, which was heresy but he was sent down, I think. Don’t know what happened to him.’
       Suddenly he stopped, smacked his lips, signalled for the goblet of wine once again, and then waved Persis from the room. ‘Oh. I do feel tired now. That’s enough for today, my dear.’
       She obediently got up, kissed the old man on the forehead, mopped the spillage of wine from his beard and blew out the candle. ‘Sleep well, Gramps. We can talk some more when you have the strength. Your memories are precious – not only to you, but also to me and the rest of the family.’ She smoothed the bedclothes fussily, and turned towards the door.
       But he had more to say. His voice was soft, and his delivery had slowed considerably. There was a great sadness in his tone.
       ‘I’ll tell you this. In all the years I’ve been a Priest in the Temple, never has there been a day like today, just three weeks after I was stood down and gave up my role as a Priest. Never.
       ‘Those Italians should know better than to insult the temple in the way they have done today. Yes, yes, yes, my dear, I have to admit that this is a bad time to be a priest. And now, thank the good Lord in heaven for his eternal mercy, I seem to have escaped like – well, like a brand from the burning! Oh, yes. It’s a dark day to be a priest.’
       Persis smiled in the dark, raising her voice slightly to be sure the old man would hear, now she was no longer right next to the bed. ‘But it’s a wonderful day to be full of years and loved by all your family. Goodnight Gramps! We can talk more tomorrow.’
       But it was not to be.



A dying priest fails to recognise what he has seen

Which Bible stories did this Rabbi almost appear in? Why didn’t he recognise John the Baptist or Jesus?

Why was Simeon so pleased to see the baby Jesus?


In what ways can serving and church activities distract us from reflecting on the realities and the more important spiritual truths?

No comments:

Post a Comment