Saturday 4 July 2015

Join the professionals

Oh, yes, it’s a man’s world in the CXXVIth Legion of the Roman Army. The training is IIugh – really IIugh – and the centurions are truly horrible, foul, CXLIV people II be around. Nothing beIX, merciful or Xder about them, I can assure you.
       My IIur of duty began when I was posted II the armpit of the world which we called ’Tine, where it was wall-II-wall crucifictions. I had a few months on cross manufacture, several weeks with the nail requisition crew and all the while having II get my hands – and, frankly, my soul – dirty by participating in the executions themselves.
       Then suddenly I was switched II guard duty.
       It was my Ist time, but I’m IIld it was unique. I’ve been seriously bribed and sworn II secrecy about what really happened (so don’t expect any M, fancy revelations here) but there were nasty rumours circulating about us, which were pretty unpleasant, I can tell you. How could all XVI of us have drifted off II sleep at once, when the rules about that were so severe? The officers would have come down on us like a C of bricks.
       But be that as it may, we couldn’t have slept through an earthquake, could we? No, these rumours don’t fit the facts. But it’s still the official sIIry of what happened II the Judean troublemaker from Nazareth, the IVmer junior executive from World of Wood, Inc.
       Now listen. You and I know that if a Roman soldier goes II sleep while on guard duty, the rules are plain and simple: everyI who is on duty with him is punished.
       In fact, regulation CCXIV part VI section (viii) subsection XVI paragraph (ix) states that the sleeping guard should be set on fire, and the others should be hacked about with swords IV a while. Oh, I know it puts it in vague language with lots of aIVmentiIds and thereafters, but when the iron rims meet the Roman Road, then I’d have II say, yes, that’s how they run things around here. But I suppose it’s a brilliantly effective way of making sure that everyI takes responsibility IV keeping everyI else alert. After all, if someI nods off, I’m in trouble, so I’m going II make jolly well sure that Revulsis Quadriga Lucuster [Latin for Rip Van Winkle: literally Reed Chariot Lobster] stays awake, aren’t I?
       So it just couldn’t have happened the way they say it did. There must be some sort of official cover-up or fakery. The officer in charge was resting on a grassy knoll, I suppose.
       Anyway, once the fuss had settled down, they marched us all off II different parts of the Empire. ‘Primus per sinister, velocitur ambulo! Sinister, sinister; sinister, dexter, sinister!' [Latin for By the left, quick march! Left, left, left, right, left].
       Marcellus went II Gaul and was never heard of again, and Gianni ended up fighting across Germanicus. The others probably went II far-flung places such as Persia or Turkey… Some must have gI back II work on those Greek XLifications; or were very badly treated and got sent II Britannia! That would be truly rough.
       I got lucky and came back II Rome – my guess was that I was up IV the chop. I was made responsible IV administration at the I/IVmaster’s sIIres, and then got a posting at the local VII-XI grocery and general goods shop as a security guard. 
       After a while in the SenVIII buildings, I got what I thought was a seriously cushy number.
       Figure it out IV yourself. My routine, which I’ve been following now IV the best part of II years, goes like this: I work a pattern of IV days on, III off, followed by IV nights on and X off, which means I get a week II myself pretty much every IIIrd week. Can’t complain at that. But the best part is that the days (and nights) when I’m actually working are fairly relaxed, II. Here’s a typical day:
       • Get up at about VII or so.
       • Report IV duty at VII.XLV anti meridian at Tarsus IIwers. Secure II my belt, by chains, Paul O’Tarsus.
       • Sit around all day, welcoming visiIIrs, chowing down (on meat and potaIIes or fish and pasta  – all with fine wines – which means I’m gaining wVIII), arrange appointments, read letters and take a bit of dictation.
       • End of the day (we knock off at XVIII.XXX hours), remove the chain, and put the day’s correspondence in the mailbox on my way home II the wife and kids.
       That’s what I call light duties!
       Strange thing: this chap Paul O’Tarsus is waiting II be seen by Caesar, but in the meantime he’s made some interesting friends and they have amazing discussions. I get II hear them, because he’s chained II me all day!
       He’s got inII this new ‘Christian’ religion, and people are enthusiastically beating a path II his door. And I mean all day, from morning II night, he’s excitedly talking about Jesus of Nazareth – how, apparently, this god that Paul believes in raised Jesus from the dead – and how this isn’t just a Jewish thing but IV everyI and how we can be IVgiven and saved and become children of God and find hope and purpose in life.
       That’s the main weakness in what he has II say, if you ask me – the bit about Jesus being raised from the dead. How could that happen? I haven’t IIld Paul that I was, hitherII, part of the guard protecting that particular IImb. We all know that anything protected by a Roman guard is thoroughly protected. At least, that’s the official line. And I’m a well-disciplined soldier, and what my commanding officers say happened (and have bribed me to say the same, II) is what I’ll believe, right, even if I might wonder sometimes how they could know better than me, when they weren’t there and I was. But I know enough II give a salute and answer ‘Yes, sir, whatever you say, sir.’ (Between you and me, I know what I saw, but I’m choosing II hold my IIngue and IIe the line, if you understand my meaning. After all, why rock the boat with something as incendiary as the truth, eh?) Throw me a bI.
       What’s strange is that most of Paul’s visiIIrs don’t seem II have a problem with the ‘raised from the dead’ thing. Their beef is about his claims that ‘Christianity’ – which is a nickname some dissenters used II describe this new faith, but which Paul has adopted – is IV everyI: Jews, Greeks, Macedonians, Ethiopians, Mesopotamians, Turks, Gauls and even Romans. And BriIIns!
       I’m not paid II think. I’m paid II guard this harmless hebrew, and keep my mouth shut about what really happened back in ‘Tine, so that’s what I’m doing. Maybe I shall give Jesus and his claims further consideration once the dust has settled, or when I’m LXIV, reaching retirement age.
       Meanwhile, I’m going II ride this gravy train all the way II the terminus, and that’s the Latin IV finiII!

A tale of execution & guard assignments                          

How many times did this soldier manage II become involved in incidents in the Bible?

What might the soldier learn by lisXing II the wVIIIy conversations and discussions Paul was ofX having?

When will you make time IV giving consideration II the claims of Jesus?







[1] Latin for Rip Van Winkle (literally Rend Chariot Lobster)
[2] By the left, quick march. Left, left; left, right, left

No comments:

Post a Comment